Fun Farm Facts
Sample these delicious tidbits of fun farm facts about the food, feed, fiber and even fuel that our American family farms produce!
And when we say family farms, we mean it: Less than 1 percent of America's farms and ranches are owned by non-family corporations. The other 99 percent are owned by individuals, family partnerships or family corporations.
Did you know?
At one time, much of our population was involved in farming - in 1940, the average farmer grew enough food for only 19 other people. And that was pretty close to enough.
Today, since farmers only account for two percent of the American population, they have to work a lot harder to feed everyone - and they're still doing a great job. In 2006, the average American farmer grew enough food for 144 other people. We say: Keep up the good work!
Because so few of us live on farms now, those who work in agriculture feel it's especially important that non-farmers learn about agriculture.
Because of efficient agriculture management and production practices, American consumers are able to spend less of their disposable income on food.
- Americans spend only 10 percent of their income on food, whereas the
- French spend 18 percent,
- British spend 22 percent,
- Italians spend 23 percent, the
- Japanese spend 26 percent, and consumers in
- Indians spend up to 51 percent of their income on food.
The average American can earn enough disposable income to pay for food for a year in just 40 days.